When I am in the classroom, I work to impart transferable skills such as writing, critical thinking, scientific reasoning, and historical analysis. I have found that this happens most effectively by creating a balance between fun and rigor, humor and hard work. My teaching methods, which combine active learning with traditional lecture, reflect these goals.
Previous classes I have taught:
– Melancholia and Madness*
– Sex, Science, and Religion*
– Science, Religion, and Democracy
– The Science of Sex: From Ancient Attitudes to Victorian Secrets*
– History of Science Survey: Plato to NATO
– Eggs, Seeds, and Embryos*
Ivy Tech Community College
– Introduction to Philosophy
– Philosophy of Religion
John Tyler Community College
– Practical Reasoning: Informal Logic
– History of Western Philosophy
*involves a course that I designed and proposed to the University.